A worker shortage might be excellent news for the economy! Maybe, just maybe, firms will awake and see workers’ substantial contribution to their success. Some CEOs take unconscionable sums and destroy their firm’s value, unlike many frontline workers who create value. During the pandemic, CEOs took vast sums as they laid-off workers. Some firms sought bankruptcy protection, but hat didn’t stop their greedy CEOs from snatching hefty bonuses.We have a worker shortage and firms are scrambling to hire whomever is willing. Some firms, like McDonalds have paid signing bonuses. Canada’s Loblaw and its competitors paid a bonus to frontline workers when the pandemic began. They stopped it after three months in unison with their competitors. When government confronted them about this collusion, they claimed it happened independently. Go figure! It’s like you caught your three-year-old with her hand in the cookie jar and she said, Mom, “Cookie Monster did it!”Worker Shortage Inevitable With Shoddy TreatmentLoblaw’s behavior disturbs me. During the bonus period, profits soared. Per se, that’s no problem. I favor firms making profits. To be sure, I am against government taxing profits. But paying workers the bonus during the pandemic shouldn’t hinge on profits. It was just right. Meanwhile, my wife and I shopped at a Loblaw store and workers continued their excellent service despite Loblaw’s slight.Leaders must realize frontline workers are the firm’s foundation and treat them well, not as cogs turning out CEOs bonuses! When employers treat workers like machines, they disengage. Gallup said, over several decades, they and other researchers found a strong link between employees’ workplace engagement and the company’s overall performance. Yet employers refuse to accept this. But there is good news: surveys show some firms break the mold and treat workers with respect: Cisco, Apple, Accenture, IBM, FedEx are a few.Next Quarter’s Earnings Drives BusinessesCompanies see next quarter as the prize, so they exploit workers and fudge next quarter’s numbers. I repeat: I am against government taxing business. However, I favor the Biden Build Back Better provision to tax share buybacks that the House passed, and it is before the Senate, even if it might have only a modest effect on share buybacks. Companies shouldn’t be spending billions buying back shares while exploiting workers.Firms should present to shareholder meetings options to use buyback funds. Choices might include effects of paying bonuses to frontline workers with buyback funds. Shareholders should hear about potential strategic investments, too. Another option is stopping buy-backs for five years after layoffs. Executives, too, shouldn’t get bonuses within five years of layoffs. We must get rid of worker exploitation that enhances CEO bonuses.The Business Roundtable Stakeholder Capitalism DisappearedThe Business Round Table (BRT) had a revelation in 2019 and decided maximizing shareholder value is not a corporation’s sole purpose. That metrics from the 1980s is wrong, it said. I wrote then that the BRT “… came up with lovely platitudes about looking after stakeholders and quickly ditched it and returned to their greedy practices… ” They continued to move away from those bromides during the pandemic.Let the worker shortage continue! It might be the force to rid firms of myopic, greedy incompetent CEOs. To be sure, the scarcity will cause disruptions in supply chains and elsewhere, but workers’ creativity, if allowed, will solve these challenges. Here is the million dollar question: Will enough firms decide to scrap the quarterly rat race and concentrate on building robust businesses for the long-term?
Self-Care For Incognito Lingual Braces
You may be the proud owner of a new set of lingual braces. These are metal braces that have been placed inside your teeth instead of on the outside. This provides aesthetic beauty as you can still retain your smile without anyone ever realizing that you are wearing braces.
Advantages Of Incognito Lingual Braces
1. The most important advantage of these braces is that they are hidden. You can have your teeth straightened out without the worry of having to wear braces that are visible. This is what most people opt for. The closest alternative is ceramic braces, but even though they are the same color as your teeth, they are still visible to some extent.
2. It is common for braces to become stained after a certain period of time, but with Incognito braces, even if this happens, you don’t have to become self-conscious from walking around with discolored teeth, because the discoloration will not be visible.
Caring For Incognito Braces
The type of care given to these braces is similar to how you would care for any other braces. Below are some tips you can use when cleaning your braces.
1. Brush your teeth twice a day, for at least three minutes. Make sure you tilt your toothbrush in order to access the spaces in between the braces. Also, it might be uncomfortable or weird to brush your teeth on the inside, but this is where your focus should be. Usually, lingual braces get stained easily because patients forget to focus on the inside of their teeth and instead focus more on the outside.
2. Make sure your toothbrush has soft bristles that can easily clean the area below the teeth. Hard brushes can easily bruise you, especially if you brush vigorously.
3. Invest in an oral irrigation device that will help you flush out debris that is stuck in hard to reach places. You will not always access to all the nooks and crannies in your mouth, especially with new braces, but an oral irrigation device can easily flush them out.
4. Floss in between your teeth, and in the spaces between your braces and your teeth. This may seem like a lot of work especially if you have numerous braces, but it is important to remove any food stuck there. If not, it will become a breeding ground for bacteria and plaque.
5. Rinse your mouth using a fluoride mouthwash as this will help strengthen your teeth.
6. Try not to touch your braces with your tongue too much as it can become irritated. This may be hard to do at first because of the novelty of wearing braces from the inside of your teeth, but you should consciously try to prevent your tongue from feeling them out.
7. It is important that you attend each of your scheduled dental appointments during which your braces will be adjusted and your orthodontist will perform professional cleaning.